Low back pain is not a specific disease; rather it is a symptom that may occur from a variety of different processes. Back pain can have many reasons, but often no specific cause will be found and the pain will stop. According to ayurveda this is a vata disorder. The vata dosha gets vitiated due to various reasons of faulty dietary and life style habits. This vitiated vata dosha travels throughout the body and accumulates in the area of blocked channels. In this case it finds blockage in the channels of the low back area and gets accumulated there thus causing pain.
Causes of low back pain
Common causes involve diseases or injury to the muscles, bones or nerves of the spine. Pain from the diseases of abdominal, pelvic and chest organs can also radiate to back. Normal pregnancy can also cause back pain due to stretching the pelvic ligaments and straining the low back.
1) Ankylosing Spondilitis causing stiffness and pain in the spine worsen in the morning.
2) In cauda equine syndrome, the spinal cord is directly compressed causing nerve compression. The patient may experience pain and loss of sensation in the area supplied by compressed nerve, bowel or bladder dysfunction.
3) Infections of the bones of the spine are among the uncommon causes.
4) Nerves infection with herpes zoster virus can cause nerve inflammation in the upper or lower part of the spine causing pain.
5) Disc prolapse between the lower back bones causes nerve root irritation. Sciatica is a common example of nerve root irritation. In Ayurveda this disease is called Gridhrasi. This disease is caused by vitiated vata and kapha. In this case pain starts from the back and traverses throughout the leg up to the great toe.
Symptoms of low back pain
1) Pain in the low back area is the primary symptom. The pain may radiate downwards the front, side or back of the leg.
2) Pain may be worse with activity or prolonged sitting.
3) Numbness or weakness of the area supplied by the compressed nerve
Management Back pain due to Nerve compression at SukhAyurveda
1) SukhAyurveda Detox Therapies for Low Back Pain
The most powerful treatments for removing toxins are the SukhAyurveda Detox Therapies. These treatment programs may include Abhyangam massage, Herbal bun (pottali) massage, purgation and mild herbal enema. Kadivasti has a major impact in treating patients of low back pain. These treatments are given in combination according to the patients’ constitution and disease. These create the ideal internal physical environment for healing.
SukhAyurveda Detox Therapies address the problem of toxin accumulation by systematically
- Loosening impurities that have become embedded in tissues and helping liquiefy them for easy absorption into the circulation and eventual elimination.
- Softening and opening the channels of circulation and elimination so proper nourishment can reach the tissues and impurities can be more easily eliminated from them.
- Activating the elimination process for the most thorough cleansing of the entire physiology.
SukhAyurveda Consultant provides guidance for proper diet to be taken and to avoid the food items aggravating disease. Avoid foods that are hard-to-digest (like milk, caffeine, pulses like kidney bean, etc) clogging to the physiology and aggravating to the doshas(functioning modes) that are already imbalanced in you. Favor foods that are easy-to-digest, nourishing, cleanse the physiology, strengthen digestion and balance your body's inner intelligence.
3) Ayurveda herbs
Their purpose is to restore balance to the doshas(specific functioning modes) whose malfunctioning is causing your condition. SukhAyurveda Consultant selects the appropriate herbal formulas for allieviating vata and kapha doshas.
Traditional Ayurveda theory says that herbs are most effective after a person completes a Detox program. The cleansing and rejuvenation treatments are the main focus at SukhAyurveda. Once cleansing program is finished, maximum benefits are achieved from herbal program.
4) Lifestyle and Daily Routine
One of the most important factors for maintaining healthy functioning is to have a lifestyle that does not disturb natural bodily rhythms. When we eat, sleep and exercise in constantly fluctuating and disturbing patterns, the body loses its natural balancing cycles and cannot cleanse or heal itself as effectively. SukhAyurveda Consultants reviews daily routine and creates a daily schedule that will increase balance in physiology and aid in healing of the body.
Stretching activities that place additional strain on the back are discouraged. While sleeping on your back keep a pillow under your knees and in case lying on one side keep a pillow in between your knees. This keeps your back straight and helps in relieving pain also. In sitting positions a support to low back should be given by a small pillow or rolled towel.
Don’t bend forward to lift heavy objects if you will have to lift weight then keep your back straight up and down, head up and lift with your knees.
SukhAyurveda considers Yoga as a non-dietary regiment to improve digestive strength, circulation, nervous system function, the body's healing response.
We offer Yoga classes every day and teach simple but profound set of postures that you can practice daily. For Low back pain we recommend
1) Shallabh asana
2) Nauka asana
3) Bhujang asana
Many other yogasanas are also advised according to the patient’s problem. Low impact exercises like swimming, walking and bicycling can increase overall fitness without straining the low back.
6) Strengthening the Body's Natural Healing and Self-Repair Mechanisms
Ultimately every treatment approach must depend on the body's natural healing ability for a real cure of the condition. SukhAyurveda approach is not to attack the disorder with something from the outside, but to attempt to enliven the innate healing response of the body.
The healing response is one of the most complex and coordinated activities within the human physiology and often cannot be strengthened significantly without a comprehensive natural approach.
Taking together, all the SukhAyurveda programs described above, aim to create the ideal mental, physical and behavioral environment for healing